Eliminate the tedious manual application of smart tags while improving the readability of the tags with WestRock BornDigitalTM solutions. Automate the application of tags to packaging in your own facility at the time of case forming with Meta® BornDigitalTM automation systems OR order pre-tagged boxes with our BornDigitalTM packaging.
A single source for packaging, labels, automated case forming and tagging, we can help you efficiently create a physical box paired with a smart tag to enable visibility of your product throughout the supply chain. We can help you scale smart packaging with minimal disruption to your existing operation.
Automated Smart Packaging at Scale
Meta® BornDigitalTM automation system leverages our precision mandrel-forming technology with onboard RFID (and other smart labels) tagging to create fiber-based blank-to-smart packaging. This solution can reduce labor dependency for the application of smart tags. In addition, the solution tests that tags are working before they’re applied, which helps reduce waste.
Starting with fiber-based die-cut blanks, cases are precisely formed around a fixed mandrel, which can help minimize case skew and improve the box’s structural integrity. The Meta® mandrel-forming solution is designed to allow efficient changeover between box sizes, with minimal or no changeover required between box sizes with similar footprints. The integrated case-forming and inline tagging accurately applies labels, tags and sensors to a strategic location inside the box that can help protect the tag from harsh environments, optimize its readability and address specific customer needs.
With the ability of our Meta® technology to handle three-, four-, five-, six-, seven- and even eight-sided cases, WestRock offers a differentiated solution that can be installed in your own facility.
- High speed (up to 55 cases per minute)
- Fiber-based blanks can be customized with high-impact branding and graphics
- Precision-formed cases can maximize fiber usage and structural integrity
- Flexibility to handle different case footprints, number of sides and variable heights with minimal to no changeover required
- Inline label application inside the boxes to protect smart tags from harsh environments
- Packaging design that considers placement and readability of tags and the automation of both the box forming and tag application
- Meet anticipated retail or QSR tagging mandates
- Minimize disruption to operations with box-forming and tag application in one machine
- Automated tag application keeps pace with case-forming speed
- Multichannel adaptability for retail or e-commerce
- Increased throughput and lower labor dependency vs. manual tagging options
- High flexibility, fast format changes, multichannel differentiation
- Adapts to future tag and sensor technology, such as Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) tags
Features and Benefits
- Packaging is designed for purpose, taking into account placement of the tag and readability of the tag
- Proven solutions at scale with over three million tags and counting applied
- Minimize disruption to operations – no need to add machinery or additional labor
- Adapts to future technology, such as Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) tags